IOCT Masters in Creative Technogies
Major Project
An augmented reality game based on "Breakout"

Wednesday 30 July 2008

Congratulations screen

Something exciting/worthwhile needs to happen as part of the visuals for the congratulations screen in order for the player to want to complete the game. Following on from my idea to include the Cliff Richard tune “Congratulations” I have decided to create a dancing Cliff Richard for this screen.

In order to create the effect of a dancing Cliff Richard I began by trying to draw Cliff Richard using Microsoft Paintbrush. I was working on the idea of having two similar images and switching between the two, to create a dancing effect. To create an image of Cliff Richard I was referring to a video of his performance durin
g the Eurovision Song Contest on YouTube.com. I then realised I would be able to take a few print screens of the video of Cliff Richard dancing and use these instead. From the print screens I found two similar images and cropped them to leave two images which when switched between gave the effect of Cliff Richard dancing.

I then began my research into how to load the two images to be displayed as part of the Congratulations screen and then switch between the two.

In the drawing file of my code I draw the Cliff Richard images to the screen, with an if statement relating to the toggle switch in the main Breakouy_v3.c file. The toggle allows the two images to be switched between, creating the effect of Cliff Richard dancing. In the drawing file I also had to flip the images of Cliff Richard vertically, as they were loading upside down before I added the cvFlip line of code.