IOCT Masters in Creative Technogies
Major Project
An augmented reality game based on "Breakout"

Monday 16 June 2008

High score board

To understand how to create the High Score Board I needed to research this topic and how score boards are created for computer games. The scores need to be saved in a separate text file. The file is loaded into the structure of the memory at the beginning of the game.

I have structured the text files as follows:
Name (3 characters) Tab Score

To write the headings, “High Score Board”, “Name” and “Score” to the screen I used the sprintf code. I’ve also used the sprintf code in printing the text from the separate file to the screen.

To read the information from the separate file I have used the fscanf code. I began by pointing the computer to the relevant file and have created an integer variable to deal with the scores and a character variable to deal with the names. The code used then opens the relevant file and reads it: fileHandle – fopen(“highscores.txt”, “r”);

I then read the string, tab across, integer and create a new line. This points to the name and score strings. A copy of the name and score are then created. This process is repeated three times to then be used in displaying the names and scores of the three highest scorers.